Sunday, August 24, 2008

A B C D Eedle F

One last camping trip for the year.

Since we started camping here in Colorado we've been wanting to go through Rocky Mountain National Park, so we camped at Granby which is just outside the entrance to the park. Apparently, you have to reserve a spot in the Park several months in advance and we were even lucky to get the spot we had.

We set up camp, Josh went fishing and the girls and I chatted with the host of that campsite. Did you know that the hosts live there and take care of the campsite for several months? Well I didn't until we started camping. And the host couple at our site were an adorable older couple. He is from Indonesia and she is from Holland and they are hosting there from May to September. They had a very big black dog there and of course Ayva loved her and the dog loved the girls.

The plan for the next day was Josh getting up before the sun comes out to go fishing, the girls and I hanging out in the tent until mommy feels like getting up and getting us ready for the day, Josh comes back, have lunch, go for a drive through Rocky Mountain National Park (stopping where ever Josh sees a stream to fish), go back to camp, dinner and then the typical routine of getting the girls to bed.

Well the night didn't go so well. The girls were constantly waking us up, if it wasn't one it was the other and then through the process of getting the one back to sleep the other would wake up and it just went on and on until Cheyenne decided she was going to be up for the day at 5am. There was no stopping her, if she's up for the day that means we are up for the day. So Josh decided to forego his fishing in the morning to help me out, wasn't that nice! He's so sweet.

So we got ready and went for our drive through the Park. It was beautiful!!! We saw a moose, herd of Elk and a deer. The highest peak is about 14,000 ft. and the road goes up to about 12,000 ft, past the tree line. The Park, unfortunately, has a beetle infestation and is killing the pine trees but at the same time I thought it looked beautiful (only because of the variety of colors, it looks like fall).


It's already a long story but long story short we were in the Park all day long. We stopped at Estes Park, cute little town. I dropped Josh and Ayva at Estes Lake to do some fishing and Cheyenne and I went into the town to do touristy stuff. Picked them up, had some lunch and on our way back stopped at Bear Lake which is a very touristy area. They even shuttle people there because there is not enough parking. Beautiful lake!!! They have a trail that goes all the way around, pictures don't do it justice. Started back to camp and decided to take a scenic route. This road was scary but again... beautiful! The dirt road was narrow in some areas I was terrified!


We are such campers (haha), we were gone from our camp all day and ate out for each meal that day. Plans were just changing by the minute so I wasn't prepared for that drive through the Park, but I guess that's just an excuse.

Oh, the title of this post. Ayva decided she was going to start her ABCs and that's the way she sings it...A B C D Eedle F. She sings it over and over again.

Anyways, here are some photos of our weekend. Majority is of the Park...

Animal shots...

A daddy moose

A mommy moose

All the elk shots...

10 comments:

Mandy said...

Hey, I will have to add Ayva's Eedle F to my HIJK Elemeno, P version of the ABC's. The scenery was beautiful, you guys got pretty close to some of those Elk!

kelley said...

Great Pictures, I also looked through your photo file. You are an amazing photographer. It's great to get to know you and your little ones a little bit.

Josh's Aunt Kelley

Kelsey said...

I love the scenery. I grew up in Colorado, the pictures make me miss the Colorado mountains. We basically grew up in the mountains.

'Hel said...

SO beautiful!! I think I drove through there last summer. Its so amazing.

Anonymous said...

Looks like yall had a good time. The pictures are beautiful. I wish I could take pictures half as good as you do. I'm terrible at it, lol! I like the "Eedle F". Ayva's funny.

abb said...

You certainly have a lot of beautiful pictures from your camp trip, but then, you had a full day starting out at 5 a.m.! Maybe Cheyenne was just excited to get going! Ayva's alphabet is so cute. I wonder what letters follow f?

Eric and Amy said...

AMAZING pics! What beautiful country! I love Colorado! So cool you guys get to go out and enjoy where you live. Wish Dallas was more conducive to that! :)

Nat said...

Looks like fun! We've got that camping itch again too...

Stephanie said...

So pretty. Those are awesome pictures.

Anonymous said...

Josh,
Your blog is so cute. You know what?? Your getting old! HAHAHAH
Jenny