Monday, March 1, 2010

Angels take care of our missionaries...

Josh's brother Jimmy is on a mission in Chile. I don't know if you'll know but there was a huge earthquake that hit there very early Saturday morning.

Here is a report from Josh's parents:

"This morning Janelle called and told us there had been an earthquake in Chile. After panicking for an hour or so, we received a phone call from an LDS doctor in Chile that reported to us that Jimmy was injured in the earthquake. As recently trained to do, when the earthquake hit and the apartment started shaking, Jimmy and his companion started running out of the building. Before they reached the outside, a wall fell on Jimmy! Jimmy's companion is uninjured. Jimmy has some minor injuries. He has "road rash" looking abrasions all over, slight head injuries, a broken finger, hurt back, and a bruised hip. The Mission President's wife called later and told us that Jimmy is doing OK and is in good spirits. She said that if the Mission President approves it, Jimmy may be able to telephone us tomorrow. The mission president's wife said that when she saw him being wheeled by wheelchair into the mission home by his bishop, she was overcome with the feeling that guardian angels had been with him."


This is a photo we found on his mission blog.
Here's what the mission president had to say:

"These Elders found themselves being slammed to the ground when a rocky, adobe/brick wall fell on them, during the earthquake. Possible broken finger, but the missionaries are happy and in good spirits!"

One missionary had an old, wobbly, adobe wall around the garden area of his porch tip over on him as he was quickly exiting their apartment, in the pitch dark at 3:34am. He tells us that obviously he had angels helping to protect him, as it fell with its total weight on top of him, but he didn't hit his head, it broke into pieces all around him, and he was able to get to safety. His wonderful companion helped him to a neightbor, member's home, and the Bishop and wife brought him safely to the mission home, where he was treated and stayed the next day. He has a possible broken finger, scratches and bruises, but is healing miraculously...he is happily here in the mission home doing fine, with his companion, where we can actually keep an eye on him!"

We are so grateful that Jimmy is OK. I truly believe he did have guardian angels watching over him. Our missionaries are well taken care of and knowing that brings great comfort.

9 comments:

Eric and Amy said...

So glad he's okay! My first thought when I heard of the quake was of all the missionaries who serve down there. Truly angels at work there!!

Rachel said...

I'm so glad he is ok. I was worried about him when I heard of the earthquake!

BriANDaleen said...

Great news! I couldn't agree with you more about angels watching over our missionaries!

Patty said...

I was awake when news of the earthquake came out. I followed the news all night wondering if Jimmy was alright. I kept praying that he was. I'm so glad that he was protected and did not get any serious injuries. I was so glad to see the big smile on his face after going through such an experience.

Nat said...

I'm also glad he is okay. It makes me feel better about sending my five missionaries out into the world (in a few more years...)knowing they will be taken care of.

kelley said...

we are very grateful too--love that boy!

abb said...

We truly feel blessed. I know that angles were indeed with him. As an update, he is "healing miraculously" and is in good spirits. What a testimony that the Lord loves and protects His missionaries!

carol daniels said...

Thanks for sharing. Angels are truly our very best friends. I am thankful that Jimmy is fine and in good spirits.

Ellen said...

I am so grateful that our Jimmy wAS protected. It is a testimony to me that the Lord has his Angels watching over them.I saw it many times with us and the missionaries where we served in NC. Grandma B