Thursday, November 13, 2008

Oh where do I start...

I'm sure a lot of people have their opinions about this whole Proposition 8 thing and of course I do too. 


It seems to me that we, the Mormons, are the victims and of course they wouldn't see it like that but this is why I think so. This country was founded on freedoms-freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc. So apparently several people in the lovely state of California decided and voted Yes on Prop 8 because that is their right and weren't people out there trying to get people to vote. I seem to remember all these ads on the streets, tv, door to door, phones, etc, just trying to get people to vote, I guess it's a big deal (sarcasm). 

So can someone tell my why a certain group of people are now upset that some people voted a certain way-hint hint?

I get it, I get it, they think that everyone, that is not like them-especially religion, are out to get them. It's interesting to me that they are targeting the LDS church when there are several churches out there that supported it as well, even the evangelical churches thanked the LDS church for supporting it. 

Anyways, back to the reason why I think we have become the victims. We voted Yes on it, again that's our right, and now we are getting protested against, vandalized, etc. I understand that in the US protesting is ok but when it gets out of hand it's just wrong, in my opinion. I personally can't stand protesting, seriously what good comes from it? And vandalizing people's homes and cars for voting the way they believe, that's just not American. 

I know guys, it's hard to hear the truth sometimes but as the saying goes-don't kill (or should I say attack) the messenger? (more sarcasm)

We are not taking their rights away, we are simply voting the way we believe and if they choose to live that way then that's their right. And this is a quote from a very public figure in their own circle...

(click on his name to read the article)

"We're not married. Let's get that right. We have a civil partnership. What is wrong with Proposition 8 is that they went for marriage. Marriage is going to put a lot of people off, the word marriage."

"I don't want to be married. I'm very happy with a civil partnership. If gay people want to get married, or get together, they should have a civil partnership," John says. "The word 'marriage,' I think, puts a lot of people off.

"You get the same equal rights that we do when we have a civil partnership. Heterosexual people get married. We can have civil partnerships."

When all this Prop 8 stuff came out I didn't really care one way or another, I figured eventually it was going to happen but because they came out against us so violent and maliciously I have to say I'm starting to harbor not so good feelings towards them. 

Anyways, that's how I feel about it. Everyone has their own opinions, right!

6 comments:

JJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kelley said...

I have been following the back lash on the news, CNN, and newspapers across the country. The saddest picture I found was the LAPD station around the LA temple. It is all very unfortunate.

Nat said...

I was going to post my ranting about this whole thing on my blog, too. I completely agree with you. It is so frustrationg! Last night, they found white powder in an envelope outside Temple Square ane one of the temples in California. It turned out not to be dangerous, but still...the vote is over. Live with it.

It also isn't like the church changed their standpoint on marriage. The Proclamation To The World was inspired. That came out over thirteen years ago. This shouldn't have been a surprise for people voting against Prop 8.

I have so much more to say, but maybe I'll just post it on my blog! Anyway, Amen Sista!!

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts Lacey.

Mullin Fam said...

Yes, I completely agree with you! We wouldn't have been protesting if prop 8 hadn't passed! That's why this country is so great...we can vote, but then we also have to go along with the majority!

Jeff said...

I agree. The problem is that the people who blame us for being "intolerant" are the ones who are demonstrating intolerance through hate crimes. They don't realize how hypocritical they are. But, then again, the church will always be persecuted. The world will never accept us, Satan won't let them. Just stay strong and you'll be blessed.