Wednesday, December 16, 2009

my daddy, my dad, my friend

Because of the last post with the poem and Thanksgiving I wanted to write this post.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday I learned more about my dad in a few hours than I ever did living in the same house with him for years. From his growing up years, Ricks College, mission, Ricks College again, boot camp and then Vietnam. He is amazing and MY HERO!!!

I apologize for my lack of skill in expressing how I feel in words but I'll try.

I've always had a special place in my heart for those who defend our country and never knew why I felt so strongly, until now.
The things he went through--- just hearing the experiences he went through for me is pure devastation. Knowing that someone you love and care about went through--in my words--torture is almost too much for me to take. Boot camp, he said, was probably the worst.

Things were a little different back then. His number came up and he was drafted. Although he was drafted, he felt like he needed to go and help because he was at home living the good life while others were fighting for that life. The amazing part to me and I don't know how to say it without it sounding snobby, his life at the time was hardly the good life.

Whenever I see soldiers or veterans something inside says to "Stand up and salute!" and give them the respect they deserve. Vietnam Veterans certainly did not receive that kind of treatment when they came home but they do now and he (and I) love that!

There's something there (possibly pride, but there's got to be something more to it then just pride) when I see the soldiers in their uniforms standing at attention when everyone else is clapping and screaming, walking in reverence, saluting, protecting their own and more. Maybe it's because when I see any soldier or veteran, hear a story about soldiers or songs that sing about this---I think of my dad.

I went to DC one year with my sister Stephanie. The tomb of the unknown soldier was the most amazing thing I've seen besides the Vietnam wall, Arlington Cemetery and the Marine Corp War Memorial. For those who have never been there, there is a marine that guards it all the time. The changing of the guards was so reverent and respectful. There was a ton of tourists there including my sister and I watching. The new marine came on and started his post. The crowd started to leave and was very loud. I noticed the guard stopped in the middle turned to the crowd, still at attention, and basically told people to be quiet. It was more like a chastisement but in a respectful way. I wish I remembered what exactly he said but I absolutely loved it! I believe, in this day, we have lost that reverence and respect that people use to have and it's sad to me.

This song, as soon as I hear the music and words I'm in tears and can never get through the whole thing...




This is my dad and my friend.
He is a good, honorable, strong, brave, courageous, hard-working, determined, loving and compassionate man.
I wish you could all know him the way I do!
I love you dad!

9 comments:

Leslie said...

Wonderful post Lacy. We went to France a few years and went to the beaches of Normandy and the cemetary that was near. It was a very humbling experience. The people in this part of France are still very grateful to the Americans for the liberation. They seemed to have a greater understanding and respect for our troops then most Americans. I totally agree we need to show more respect and reverance for our servicemen and women.

Eric and Amy said...

Beautiful post Lacey. I knew your dad was at Vietnam, of course but knew no details. I am sure the reality is hard. My dad talks about his boot camp and torture training he went through. I can't imagine. We are so lucky to have such amazing dads. And I know they fall into a category of hundreds of thousands/millions of other men out there. May God bless them all.

Those photos were amazing. I love that current photo of your dad. Breathtaking! My guess is you took it?!

Becky said...

That's so awesome. I'm thankful for every soldier that has given up his time and his life for protecting our freedom and giving others the chance to have it.

I saw a special on the Marine Guards at the Unknown Tomb. They spend HOURS making sure their outfit is perfect. They measure and remeasure to make sure it's in the right spot. They polish and repolish their guns, and stuff. I was amazed at the respect they have of their outfit even when they are not guarding the tomb.

Stephanie said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post lace! And the pictures are absolutely favorites of mine. I too would love to hear what dad has to say about his life. Thanks for sharing some of it with me (on the phone). That truly is a treasure I'm sure you will never forget!!! Isn't he the BEST guy ever? We truly are LUCKY to have him as a perfect example of a "PERFECT HUSBAND".

Patty said...

I enjoyed your post Lacey. I am very grateful to all Service Men and Women, for all they do. My dad was a Korean war Vet. He didn't talk much about it, but I know he went through some serious stuff. I have to say I love to see a man in Uniform. They seem to be so patriotic and proud to serve.

Nat said...

What a great post. I feel bad I only met your dad once; at your wedding.

abb said...

What a trubute to your father! Thanks for sharing that with us, Lacey.

Bill Bates said...

Nice tribute to your father. I am glad he served for all of us.

The Mid Life Guru said...

Wow--what a wonderful tribute to your amazing dad. We feel the same way---so grateful that he served our country so well. Thanks for your tribute. xxoo