Thursday, September 3, 2009

14er

Again, I'm behind on my posts, will I ever get caught up?
About 3 weekends ago Josh challenged himself in climbing a 14,000 foot mountain, Mount Columbia (part of the collegiate peaks). No he did not hike 14,000 feet. He got to a trail head and started hiking late Friday night. He got to a place where he decided to camp for the night, on a 25 degree angle. The night wasn't very comfortable.
He went to sleep and woke up to something pacing outside. He started making a lot of noise and it wouldn't leave so he went outside to build a big campfire. He of course was up all night.
He began his ascent and found fresh bear droppings by his campsite. Prayers were answered for this adventure. He left his tent, sleeping bag, etc. thinking he'd be back around lunch time.
Here are some shots he got while hiking.
Here's the trailhead where he started on Friday.

With many adventures up and down the mountain, Man vs. Wild skills came in handy a few times. No he did not drink his urine or eat any bugs.



There were several people at the top with him. They were all talking and found out this was Josh's first attempt at a 14,000 footer. They said, "And you picked this one, are you crazy?" They've all climbed other ones before and hated this mountain.
They all climbed up in the same area but Josh took the long way up. He had to climb up 5 different peaks along the way. He said on the way down his legs were worked so much it was hard to hop over logs.
So on his way down he accidently went the wrong way. He made it off the mountain and found a dirt road back to the truck but had to leave his tent and things behind. He got back late Saturday night and was exhausted. He was dehydrated and hardly ate anything that day because a lot of his stuff was at his campsite.
It was an interesting experience and one I'm sure he'll never forget.
Can you believe he went by himself?

8 comments:

Eric and Amy said...

WOW! You certainly married quite the mountain man. How the crap did you keep your sanity knowing he was by himself? Geez... I've read too many of those Readers Digest stories ... I would have put a GPS on his pants for sure. I'm such a wimp! Bravo to your amazing hubby!

Leslie said...

Wow! What an adventure. I am glad he made it home safely. It looks like the view was beautiful.

kelley said...

way to go Josh, and those were certainly some great views. Will he go back for his stuff?

abb said...

I am thankful that all of our prayers were answered. I didn't know he was making the hike and actually called him while he was hiking. When I found out where he was, I immediately prayed for him!

Nat said...

Josh is a Superhero. Did he go back for his gear?

janelle said...

That's crazy! I've been having nighmares about bears lately, I'm glad Josh didn't get mauled. The pictures are beautiful, I love the mountains. I'm glad he made it home safely. It really looks like it was an amazing hike.

Mandy said...

Doing it all by himself....sounds familiar! I hate it when Darrin goes flyfishing by himself, I just know he is going to slip and fall and knock himself out one of these days.

Rachel said...

Your awesome Josh! I don't know if I could handle Cody going alone. I have to much anxiety. Glad you made it out safely!