Sunday, June 1, 2008

Another Camping Adventure!!!

Sorry for the lack of posts, it's been a little busy around here.
We went camping this weekend and it was a very successful trip. We tried out this lake up in the mountains just north of I-70. It was pretty secluded, that was nice. We set up camp and Josh did a little fishing before dinner. Oh and I forgot the camera so I don't have any photos of the trip, sorry.
Ayva had a blast running around picking up sticks and rocks and all sorts of things. And of course, she fell down a few times. She also didn't like the bathroom, it was a glorified outhouse. The first time in there she said, "Lets get out uf here mama." Ayva loves being outside.
Josh caught a fish Friday night after dinner so he was pretty excited. He couldn't wait for the next morning.
Saturday morning he got up really early to get started and nothing was biting. The girls and I were then up and about and after a while I started getting sleepy so the three of us took a nap (not a very long one). When I was getting Ayva's shoes on Josh opened the tent and showed me what he just caught (the top one in the photo below). I wish I would have had the camera. It was a 22 1/2 inch rainbow trout before he got all stiff. It's his record catch. He was very proud and Ayva was very proud of her daddy too.
It's crazy how much a fish shrinks when it comes out of the water.

We had lunch there and then packed up camp and set out to another lake nearby. A little more north of our camp are three big lakes; Granby, Shadow Mt. and Grand lakes. Josh wanted to try out Granby because people have been reporting lake trout being caught, I guess those are huge fish.

Granby lake is beautiful. It's surrounded by huge mountains and remember I didn't have my camera with me. Well most areas you have to hike down the side of pretty steep cliffs to get to the lake. We pulled off and hiked down with Cheyenne in her carrier, Ayva, fishing supplies and baby supplies. Boy that was a work out but when we got down there, it was worth it. It was so beautiful.

Josh put in a couple poles and took a third one and walked down the shore a bit. So I was playing with Ayva and her shovel and pail and I heard something. I looked over at the poles and one had gone in the water so I jumped up yelling for Josh and I went after the pole. I got it and looked up and saw a fish jump out of the water so I started reeling it in and I DID IT, I CAUGHT MY FIRST FISH EVER. Actually I didn't really catch it, I only reeled it in (In the photo below mine is the one below Josh's record fish, I caught a 14 1/2 incher).

So it was a pretty successful camping trip. The weather was pretty nice too and of course Josh and I got burned again. Don't worry the girls didn't.

6 comments:

Leisel said...

You guys are crazy! I am glad you are having fun! And congrats on your first fish!

Stephanie said...

That's awesome! Looks like you were pretty successful...you little outdoorsy people.

Morgan said...

Yay, on your first fish...I don't think I have ever caught one. You are brave to take your little ones camping.

Steph said...

Looks like a fun weekend! We have a few pics of Sammy & Ayva on our blog, by the way. Just thought I would let you know!

abb said...

Fun fishing trip! I guess the 'big fish" didn't get away this time!

Kelsey said...

Sounds like lots of fun. Tell Josh hi for me. I don't think I've seen him since Grandpa's funeral.